A lot of talk went on early in Obama’s presidency, calling him alternately- fascist, communist/socialist, or liberal. But what do these terms really mean? It’s easy to simply name call, but in reality these terms have meaning beyond what people realize. Some of them are correctly attributed, but the truth is more complicated to discern.
Fascism is defined in answers.com as:
- often Fascism
- A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
- A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
- Oppressive, dictatorial control.
[Italian fascismo, from fascio, group, from Late
The thing that sticks out as relating to Obama is the socioeconomic controls, i.e., AIG, GM, Chrysler, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, etc. Now to be fair, Obama was no different than Bush in this regard. When Bush signed TARP into law the nation took a large step toward Fascism. Obama seems to have amplified this economic policy in continuing bailout stimulis, and continuing the TARP program to control the financial sector. The control exerted on the “private” economy by this act was/is breathtaking. But by the government’s influence over large parts of our economy (you can add private health insurers to that list now) we have entered the realm of a Fascist economic model. The health insurers will get 40 million new customers by Government fiat, and in exchange they must give up control of their companies and be relegated to the role of a Government pensioner- but in this way fascism is little different than socialism in that if you no longer control your property, is it really yours? What good is it to own a car if you are not allowed to drive? How about the other aspects of fascism- how does Obama measure up there? Well, we do have a large degree of centralization under the President’s authority and that of his Czars, but there are no acts of violence yet aimed at the opposition- so AS of yet, he has not fulfilled the fascist mold, entirely.
Latest posts by Timothy Reeves (see all)
- Don’t Fall for Their Trap, Keep it In House! - June 30, 2014
- Are we Done Waiting Yet? - June 19, 2014
- Hold Your Nose and Vote for the Other Guy? No way. - April 14, 2014