On January 20, Mississippi joined in the trend of state legislatures introducing bills that would cut off resources to the NSA or any federal agency engaged in warrantless surveillance. How far will this go?
SB2438 was promptly referred to the Rules Committee where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full Mississippi Senate can consider it.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Mississippi you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Senate Rules Committee Chair, Terry W. Brown. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move SB2438 forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB2438. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Terry C. Burton (601) 359-3234
John Horhn (601) 359-3237
Billy Hudson (601) 359-2395
Gray Tollison (601) 359-2395 (yes, same number as Hudson’s)
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at email@example.com with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB2438. It is essential to take measures to protect the privacy rights of MS residents. Passing SB2438 will help make that happen.