On January 20, SB2753 was introduced to protect Mississippi citizens from the indefinite detention provisions of the NDAA (learn about it here). It was promptly referred to the Judiciary, Division A Committee where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full Senate can consider it.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Mississippi you live, take these actions today.
Call the Senate Judiciary, Division A Committee Chair, W. Briggs Hopson III. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. It is important to call because a phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the Judiciary, Division A committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB2753. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Sen. Sally Doty Vice Chair (R) (601)835-4175
Sen. Terry C. Burton (R) (601)683-7050
Sen. Kelvin E. Butler (D) (601)680-4281
Sen. Eugene S. Clarke (R) (662)827-5685
Sen. Joey Fillingane (R) (601)271-2070
Sen. Hillman Terome Frazier (D) (601)982-1871
Sen. Steve Hale (D) (662)562-5948
Sen. Dean Kirby (R) (601)932-1966
Sen. Will Longwitz (R) (601)605-5879
Sen. Haskins Montgomery (D) (601)764-3068
Sen. David Parker (R) (662)893-3309
Sen. Derrick T. Simmons (D) (662)378-8764
Sen. Sean Tindell (R) (228)342-5963
Sen. Angela Turner (D) (662)494-6611
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us at http://ask.tenthamendmentcenter.com with any information you get.
4. On Twitter? Retweet.
— TenthAmendmentCenter (@TenthAmendment) January 29, 2014
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB2753. It is essential that Mississippi takes a stand against the indefinite detention provisions of the NDAA. Passing SB2753 will make that happen.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- Massachusetts Alert: Help Stop Federal Militarization of Police, Support H2144 and S1234 - April 27, 2015
- Colorado Senate Passes Bill to Reaffirm Some State Control over Public Lands Held by the Federal Government - April 24, 2015
- Alabama Action Alert: Help Nullify in Practice Some FDA Restrictions on Terminal Patients, Support HB463 and SB357 - April 24, 2015