On January 15, HB1406 authored by Rep. Timothy Harman, was introduced. The legislation bans the state from taking actions to give effect to the Affordable Care Act. (learn more here) It was promptly referred to the House Ways and Means committee where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full House can consider it.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Indiana you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Timothy Brown. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on HB2272. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
All members of the Ways and Means Committee can be reached at 800-382-9841. Ask to be transferred to their office.
P Eric Turner
Mara Candelaria Reardon
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us with any information you get.
4. on Twitter? Retweet
— TenthAmendmentCenter (@TenthAmendment) January 18, 2014
5. Write a letter to the editor Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for HB1406. Following strong legal principles, it’s essential that Indiana no longer help the federal government carry out the Affordable Care Act. Passing HB1406 will start that process.
Latest posts by Tenth Amendment Center Intern (see all)
- Indiana Action Alert: Help stop Obamacare, Pass HB1406 - January 19, 2014