Last year, SB999 was introduced to take a first step towards protecting people in Pennsylvania from the indefinite detention provisions of the NDAA. It has been lying dormant in the Intergovernmental Operations Committee ever since where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full Senate can consider it.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Pennsylvania you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Scott Hutchinson. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bipartisan bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB999. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Sean Wiley (D) Minority Chair (717) 787-8927
Stewart J. Greenleaf (R) Vice Chair (717) 787-6599
Joseph B. Scarnati III (R) (717) 787-7084
David G. Argall (R) (717) 787-2637
Mike Folmer (R) (717) 787-5708
Bob Mensch (R) (717) 787-3110
Vincent Hughes (D) (717) 787-7112
Rob Teplitz (D) (717) 787-6801
Bob Mensch (D) (717) 787-5400
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us at http://ask.tenthamendmentcenter.com with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB999. It is essential that Pennsylvania takes a stand against the indefinite detention provisions of the NDAA. Passing SB999 will make that happen.