On Feb. 12, the 4th Amendment Protection Act was introduced to ban state support or participation in federal warrantless surveillance programs. . (learn about it here)
STATUS: SF2172 was referred to the Judiciary Committee where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full Senate can consider it.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Iowa you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Robert Hogg. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bipartisan bill forward to a vote in his committee. Let him know you support SF2172, and ask her if he is in favor of the bill as well. If he does not commit to a YES vote, ask him why. If he is undecided, let him know you’ll call back in a few days. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SF2172. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Thomas G. Courtney (D) Vice Chair (319)759-5334
Charles Schneider (R) Ranking Member (515)657-7375
Nancy J. Boettger (R) (712)744-3290
Robert E. Dvorsky (D) (319)351-0988
Julian B. Garrett (R) (515)971-0883
Wally E. Horn (D) (319)396-3131
Janet Petersen (D) (515)442-0120
Herman C. Quirmbach (D) (515)292-8984
Steven J. Sodders (D) (641)483-2383
Rich Taylor (D) (319)931-1568
Jack Whitver (R) (515)865-6394
Brad Zaun (R) (515)276-2025
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 2-3 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you get.
4. on Twitter? Retweet
— Nullify NSA (@NullifyNSA) February 13, 2014
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SF2172. Following strong legal principles, it’s essential that Iowa no longer help the federal government spy on all of us. Passing SF2172 will make that happen.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- To the Governor’s Desk: Delaware Passes Common Core Opt Out Bill - June 26, 2015
- To the Governor’s Desk: North Carolina Right to Try Act would Protect Terminal Patients from some FDA Restrictions - June 24, 2015
- Get Government Out of Marriage: Michigan Bill Would Nullify Both Sides in Practice - June 23, 2015