On Feb. 6, HB1016 or the Cannabis Freedom Act was introduced to nullify federal marijuana prohibition in the state of Maryland. (learn about it here) It was promptly referred to the Judiciary Committee where it will need to pass by majority vote before it is moved to the whole house for consideration.
STATUS: HB1016 will receive a hearing in the Judiciary Committee on March 13 at 1 p.m. The measure is likely to be voted upon on that date.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Maryland you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Joseph F. Vallario, Jr. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bipartisan bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on HB1016. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Kathleen M. Dumais (D) Vice Chair (410) 841-3052
Curt Anderson (D) (410) 841-3291
Sam Arora (D) (410) 841-3528
Jill Carter (D) (410) 841-3268
Luke Clippinger (D) (410) 841-3303
John Cluster (R) (410) 841-3526
Frank Conaway (D) (410) 841-3189
Glen Glass (R) (410) 841-3280
Michael Hough (R) (410) 841-3472
Kevin Kelly (D) (410) 841-3404
Susan Lee (D) (410) 841-3649
Susan McComas (R) (410) 841-3272
Michael McDermott (R) (410) 841-3431
Neil Parrott (R) (410) 841-3636
Sandy Rosenberg (D) (410) 841-3297
Luiz Simmons (D) (410) 841-3037
Michael Smigiel (R) (410) 841-3555
Darren Swain (D) (410) 841-3692
Kriselda Valderrama (D) (410) 841-3210
Geraldine Valentino-Smith (D) (410) 841-3101
Jeffrey D. Waldstreicher (D) (410) 841-3130
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us at http://ask.tenthamendmentcenter.com with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for HB1016. It is essential to stop the federal government’s ridiculous prohibition on marijuana that has wasted billions of taxpayer dollars. Passing HB1016 will make that happen.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- Delaware Action Alert: Help Stop Nullify Some FDA Restrictions on Terminally-illl, Support SB38 - April 1, 2015
- 13 States and Counting: Montana ‘Right to Try’ Act Signed into Law, Effectively Nullifies Some FDA Restrictions on Terminally-ill - March 31, 2015
- Oregon Bill to Effectively Nullify Some FDA Restrictions Passes House Committee, 9-0 - March 31, 2015