On January 9, a bill to block implementation of Common Core standards in Missouri was introduced, SB514. (learn about it here) It was promptly referred to the Senate Education Committee where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full Senate can consider it. A companion bill was introduced in the House, HB1708
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Missouri you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Senate Committee Chair, David Pearce. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bipartisan bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the senate committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB514. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
David Pearce, Chairman (573) 751-2272
Gary Romine, Vice-Chairman (573) 751-4008
Dan Brown (573) 751-5713
Ed Emery (573) 751-2108
Doug Libla (573) 751-4843
Brian Nieves (573) 751-3678
Scott Rupp (573) 751-1282
Maria Chappelle-Nadal (573) 751-4106
S. Kiki Curls (573) 751-3158
Jason Holsman (573) 751-6607
3. Call the House Committee Chair, Steve Cookson. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
4. Call the rest of the house committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on HB1708. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Jay Barnes (R) Vice Chair 573-751-2412
Ira Anders (D) 573-751-5701
Kurt Bahr (R) 573-751-9768
Eric Burlison (R) 573-751-0136
Michael Butler (D) 573-751-6800
Mike Cierpiot (R) 573-751-0907
Vicki Englund (D) 573-751-3719
Doug Funderburk (R) 573-751-2176
Elijah Haahr (R) 573-751-2210
Ron Burks (R) 573-751-1470
Andrew Koenig (R) 573-751-5568
Margo McNeil (D) 573-751-5365
Genise Montecillo (D) 573-751-9472
Mike Moon (R) 573-751-4077
Judy Morgan (D) 573-751-4485
Mark Parkinson (R) 573-751-2949
Tommie Pierson (D) 573-751-6845
Jeff Roorda (D) 573-751-2504
Lyle Rowland (R) 573-751-2042
Dwight Scharnhorst (R) 573-751-4392
Bryan Spencer (R) 573-751-1460
Kathryn Swan (R) 573-751-1443
5. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you get.
6. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
7. Write a letter to the editor Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB514. It’s essential that Missouri no longer help the federal government implement educational standards that do not reflect or support Missouri values or classic education standards SB514 will make that happen.
Latest posts by William Kennedy (see all)
- Common Core Moving Closer to Repeal in NC with Your Help - June 24, 2014
- North Carolina House Passes Bill to Withdraw from Common Core, 78-39 - June 4, 2014
- Action Alert: South Carolina Hemp Bill Up for House Vote - April 8, 2014