Two bills have been introduced in the Missouri legislature in 2014 to push back against warrantless mass surveillance. SJR27 is a proposal to amendment the state constitution, banning the use of such information in state courts. SB819 would prohibit the state from providing “material support” or assistance to federal agencies engaging in spying without a warrant. (learn more here).
SJR27 STATUS – 02-10-14, Passed out of committee and sent to the Senate floor.
The senate will have 2 votes on this bill. First, with debate for “perfection.” The 2nd will be a final vote to send it to the house.
SB819 STATUS – 02-20-14 – Referred to the senate committee on Governmental Accountability and Fiscal Oversight where it will need to pass by a majority vote before the full senate can consider it.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Missouri you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Mike Parson. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB819. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Ryan Silvey (R) Vice Chair (573) 751-5282
Mike Cunningham (R) (573) 751-1882
Mike Kehoe (R) (573) 751-2076
Jay Wasson (R) (573) 751-1503
Paul LeVota (D) (573) 751-3074
Jamilah Nasheed (D) (573) 751-4415
3. Call your state senator. Strongly, but respectfully urge him or her to vote YES on SJR27. Let your state senator know that you want to protect privacy, and want the PEOPLE to have a say in this matter. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they remain undecided, let them know you’ll call back soon to follow up.
A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
Find your state senator HERE: http://www.senate.mo.gov/LegisLookup/default.aspx
4. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 2-3 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you get.
5. on Twitter? Retweet
— Nullify NSA (@NullifyNSA) February 22, 2014
6. Write a letter to the editor Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SJR27 and SB819. Following strong legal principles, it’s essential that Missouri no longer help the federal government spy on all of us. Passing SJR27 and SB819 is the first step towards making that happen.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- California TRUST Act Proves Nullfication Works - August 29, 2014
- Heritage Trashes the Constitution with Marijuana Policy - August 29, 2014
- Vote to Nullify: 2014 Ballot Measures Give Opportunity - August 12, 2014