On January 8, A07994 a bill to block implementation of Common Core standards in New York was re-introduced(learn about it here); it is the same as S06267 introduced earlier in the Senate. It was referred to the House Education Committee where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full Assembly can consider it.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in New York you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Catherine Nolan. Strongly, but respectfully urge Him to move this important bipartisan bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on A07994. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Catherine Nolan, Chair 518-455-4851
Carmen Arroyo 518-455-5402
Michael Benedetto 518-455-5296
James Brennan 518-455-5377
Karim Camara 518-455-5262
Barbara Clark 518-455-4711
Jane Corwin 518-455-4601
Steve Englebright 518-455-4804
Al Graf 518-455-5937
Carl Heastie 518-455-4800
Earlene Hooper 518-455-5861
Ron Kim 518-455-5411
Kieran Michael Lalor 518-455-5725
Barbara Lifton 518-455-5444
Peter Lopez 518-455-5363
William Magnarelli 518-455-4826
Shelley Mayer 518 455 3662
David McDonough 518-455-4633
Steven McLaughlin 518-455-5777
Michael Miller 518-455-4621
Joan Millman 518-455-5426
Daniel O’Donnell 518-455-5603
Amy Paulin 518-455-5585
Edward Ra 518-455-4627
Phil Ramos 518-455-5185
Robert Sweeney 518-455-5787
Claudia Tenney 518-455-5334
Fred Thiele, Jr. 518-455-5997
Matthew Titone 518-455-4677
Michele Titus 518-455-5668
Harvey Weisenberg 518-455-3028
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for A07994. It’s essential that New York no longer help the federal government implement educational standards that do not reflect or support New York values or classic education standards A07994 will make that happen.
Latest posts by William Kennedy (see all)
- Common Core Moving Closer to Repeal in NC with Your Help - June 24, 2014
- North Carolina House Passes Bill to Withdraw from Common Core, 78-39 - June 4, 2014
- Action Alert: South Carolina Hemp Bill Up for House Vote - April 8, 2014