On Jan. 21, SB 1888 and HB1770 were introduced by Sen. Mae Beavers and Rep. Mark Pody. The legislation would ban the state from implementing or participating in the implementation of Obamacare, which includes the creation of an exchange. Leaving implementation to the federal government is not only on sound legal grounds, if passed in a number of states, Judge Andrew Napolitano has said this will “gut Obamacare.” (learn more about the bill here)
STATUS – SB1888, hearing and vote on 02-04-14 – Committee on Commerce & Labor
HB1770 – hearing and vote on 02-05-14 – House Subcommittee Insurance and Banking
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW to make sure the legislation has the support it needs to move forward. TAKE 30 MINUTES AND COMPLETE ALL THESE STEPS. Call in the evening, and over the weekend. Committee members can be moved to vote YES if they start their week on Monday with a large number of messages in support.
1. Call the House subcommittee chair, Jimmy Matlock. Politely thank him for scheduling the hearing for HB1770. Respectfully urge him to vote YES on HB1770.
Rep. Jimmy Matlock – (615) 741-3736
2. Call the Senate committee chair, Jack Johnson. Thank Sen. Johnson for co-sponsoring SB1888 and for scheduling the hearing. Let him know that you support SB1888.
Sen. Jack Johnson – (615) 741-2495
3. Call all the other House subcommittee members. Be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on HB1770. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back after they have a chance to review further.
JoAnne Favors (615) 741-2702
Curtis Johnson (615) 741-4341
Kelly Keisling (615) 741-6852
Steve McManus (615) 741-1920
Dennis Powers (615) 741-3335
John Ragan (615) 741-4400 – thank him for co-sponsoring HB1770
David Shepard (615) 741-3513
4. Call all the other Senate committee members. Be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB1888. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back after they have a chance to review further.
Mark Green – 615-741-2374
Charlotte Burks – 615-741-3978
Dolores Gresham – 615-741-2368 thank her for co-sponsoring!
Steve Southerland – 615-741-3851 thank him for co-sponsoring!
Reginald Tate – 615-741-2509
Jim Tracy – 615-741-1066
Bo Watson – 615-741-3227
Ken Yager – 615-741-1449
5. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in ONE day. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us with any information you get.
6. Attend the Senate Committee hearing. Take pictures and get video if they allow it. Show your support for SB1888!
Tuesday, February 04, 2014 1:30PM
State Capitol, Location 12LP
get directions here
7. Attend the House SubCommittee hearing. Take pictures and get video if they allow it. Show your support for HB1770!
Wednesday, February 05, 2014 Time TBD
Call for verification – Theo Vallas, Executive Assistant
Phone (615) 741-3736
8. on Twitter? Retweet
— TenthAmendmentCenter (@TenthAmendment) January 23, 2014
9. Write a letter to the editor Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB1680. Following strong legal principles, it’s essential that Tennessee no longer help the federal government carry out the Affordable Care Act. Passing SB1680 will start that process.
Latest posts by Michael Boldin (see all)
- REVEALED: Local Police/ATF Agreement to Enforce Gun Control - April 29, 2016
- States Take on Federal Asset Forfeiture Program - April 23, 2016
- Signed by the Governor: New Tennessee Law Sets Stage to Reject Gun Control by International Law or Treaty - April 20, 2016