On Jan. 30, SB167 was introduced to provide restrictions on the use of drones by law enforcement, providing additional safeguards for Utah residents against warrantless surveillance. (learn about it here)
STATUS – SB167 was referred to the Government Operations and Political Subdivisions Committee where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full Senate can consider it.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Utah you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Margaret Dayton. Strongly, but respectfully urge her to move this important bill forward to a vote in her committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB167. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Lyle W. Hillyard (R) 435-752-2610
Luz Robles (D) 801-550-6434
Wayne L. Niederhauser (R) 801-558-4766
Brian E. Shiozawa (R) 801-889-7450
Daniel W. Thatcher (R) 801-759-4746
Kevin T. Van Tassell (R) 435-789-7082
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB167. It is essential that Utah citizens be protected from the potential hazards that emerging drone technology could pose. Passing SB167 will make that happen.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- Oklahoma Bill Would Ban NSA Activity Called the “Biggest Threat Since the Civil War” - January 28, 2015
- North Dakota Bill Would Nullify Some FDA Regulations, Help Terminally Ill - January 27, 2015
- West Virginia Action Alert: Help to Defend the Guard, Support HB2168 - January 27, 2015