Two bills (SB5954 / HB1888) have been introduced in the State House and State Senate that would open up industrial hemp for cultivation in Washington State. The Senate Bill was promptly referred to the Agriculture, Water & Rural Economic Development Committee while the House Bill has not yet been referred to a committee at the present time. Both bills will need to pass by majority vote in their committees before the full chambers can consider them.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in WA State you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Senate Agriculture, Water & Rural Economic Development Committee Chair, Brian Hatfield. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB5954. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
3. Call your State Representative. Be strong, but respectful. Urge your State Rep. to support and co-sponsor HB1888. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call them back in a few days. It is important that you call because a phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
You can find your legislator’s contact information by clicking HERE
4. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us with any information you get.
5. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
6. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB5954 and HB1888. It is essential to the economic well-being of WA that industrial hemp be legalized. Passing SB5954 and HB1888 will make that happen.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- Oklahoma Action Alert: Help Block Federal Gun Control, Support HB3051 and SB1124 - February 4, 2016
- Utah Bill Would Legalize Marijuana for Medicinal Use; Foundation to Nullify Federal Prohibition in Effect - February 4, 2016
- West Virginia Action Alert: Help Legalize Industrial Hemp, Support HB2807 - January 28, 2016