On Feb. 26, H4795 was introduced to protect the electronic data of South Carolina residents from unwarranted federal surveillance. (learn about it here) It was promptly referred to the Judiciary Committee where it will need to pass through a majority before it can be voted upon by the whole House.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in South Carolina you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Greg Delleney, Jr. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on H4795. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
James E. Smith (D) 1st Vice Chair (803) 734-2997
Rick Quinn (R) 2nd Vice Chair (803) 212-6897
Bruce Bannister (R) (803) 734-3138
Don Bowen (R) (803) 734-3038
Alan Clemmons (R) (803) 734-3113
J. Derham Cole (R) (803) 212-6790
Laurie Slade Funderburk (D) (803) 734-3044
Dan Hamilton (R) (803) 212-6795
Jenny Anderson Horne (R) (803) 212-6871
Ralph Kennedy Jr. (R) (803) 212-6938
Peter McCoy Jr. (R) (803) 212-6872
Walton McLeod (D) (803) 734-3276
Elizabeth R. Munnerlyn (D) (803) 212-6896
Chris Murphy (R) (803) 212-6925
Wendy Nanney (R) (803) 212-6877
Wm. Weston J. Newton (R) (803) 212-6942
Tommy Pope (R) (803) 212-6895
J. Todd Rutherford (D) (803) 734-9441
Ronnie Sabb (D) (803) 212-6926
Bakari Sellers (D) (803) 734-3003
Eddie Tallon (R) (803) 212-6893
Anne Thayer (R) (803) 212-6889
J. David Weeks (D) (803) 734-3102
J. Seth Whipper (D) (803) 734-3191
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at email@example.com with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for H4795. It is important for us to push back against federal agencies that blatantly destroy our 4th Amendment rights. H4795 would do just that.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- Florida Voters to Get Another Opportunity to Legalize Medical Marijuana in 2016 - February 6, 2016
- Oklahoma Action Alert: Help Block Federal Gun Control, Support HB3051 and SB1124 - February 4, 2016
- Utah Bill Would Legalize Marijuana for Medicinal Use; Foundation to Nullify Federal Prohibition in Effect - February 4, 2016