The Tennessee 4th Amendment Protection Act (HB1907) would ban the use of warrantless data in state courts, and create a mechanism to turn off resources to the NSA facility there. (learn more here) After passing through a subcommittee on Mar. 27, it will now have to pass by a majority through the House Civil Justice Committee before it can be voted upon by the whole house.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Tennessee you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Jon Lundberg. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on HB1907. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Rick Womick (R) Vice Chair (615) 741-2804
Mike Carter (R) (615) 741-8201
Jim Coley (R) (615) 741-8201
John Deberry (D) (615) 741-2239
Vance Dennis (R) (615) 741-2190
Andrew Farmer (R) (615) 741-4419
Ryan Haynes (R) (615) 741-2264
Sherry Jones (D) (615) 741-2035
Mike Stewart (D) (615) 741-2184
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for HB1907. It is important for us to deny support for the NSA at the state level while they blatantly destroy our 4th Amendment rights. HB1907 would accomplish that.