South Carolina S.0839, a bill that would legalize industrial hemp for production within the state has been favorably referred out of committee to the full House. It previously passed unanimously in the state Senate.
The bill would legalize the farming of industrial hemp in the Palmetto State, effectively nullifying the unconstitutional federal prohibition.
“It is lawful for an individual to cultivate, produce, or otherwise grow industrial hemp in this State to be used for any lawful purpose, including, but not limited to, the manufacture of industrial hemp products, and scientific, agricultural, or other research related to other lawful applications for industrial hemp.”
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW to make sure the legislation has the support it needs to move forward. Here is what you need to do to make sure that hemp farming becomes a reality in South Carolina.
LEGISLATION AND TRACKING
1. Call your State Representative. Be strong, but respectful. Urge your State Rep. to support and co-sponsor S.0839. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call them back in a few days. It is important that you call because a phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
You can find your legislator’s contact information by clicking HERE
2. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED. Follow up in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us with any information you get.
3. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
4. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for S0839. It is essential for the economic well-being of SC citizens for the federal ban on industrial hemp to be nullified. Passing S0839 will make that happen.
Latest posts by William Kennedy (see all)
- Common Core Moving Closer to Repeal in NC with Your Help - June 24, 2014
- North Carolina House Passes Bill to Withdraw from Common Core, 78-39 - June 4, 2014
- Action Alert: South Carolina Hemp Bill Up for House Vote - April 8, 2014