On Jan. 6, SB828 was introduced by Sen. Ted Lieu (D-28) and Sen. Joel Anderson (R-36) to protect Californians from unwarranted NSA surveillance. (learn about it here) It was referred to the Committee on Public Safety where a public hearing has been set for Apr. 29.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in California you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Loni Hancock. Strongly, but respectfully urge her to vote this important bipartisan bill through new committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB828. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Joel Anderson (R) Vice Chair (916) 651-4036
Kevin de Leon (D) (916) 651-4022
Steve Knight (R) (916) 651-4021
Carol Liu (D) (916) 651-4025
Holly Mitchell (D) (916) 651-4026
Darrell Steinberg (D) (916) 651-4006
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at email@example.com with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Attend the Hearing. SB828 will be heard by the Committee on Public Safety on Apr. 29 at 9:30 a.m. in the John L. Burton Hearing Room. The address is as follows:
State Capitol Building,
Sacramento, CA 95814
6. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB828. It is unacceptable for CA officials to comply with the NSA’s blatently unconstitutional spying program. SB828 would bring that relationship to an end.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- Oklahoma Bill Would Ban NSA Activity Called the “Biggest Threat Since the Civil War” - January 28, 2015
- North Dakota Bill Would Nullify Some FDA Regulations, Help Terminally Ill - January 27, 2015
- West Virginia Action Alert: Help to Defend the Guard, Support HB2168 - January 27, 2015