On Mar. 20, Rep. Tom McMillin (R-Rochester) introduced HB5420 to prevent state cooperation with warrantless spying and personal data collection by the NSA and other federal agencies. (learn more about it here) It was referred to the Judiciary Committee where it will need to pass through a majority before it can be considered for a full vote by the house.
STATUS: HB5420 will receive a hearing in the Judiciary Committee where it will need to pass by a majority vote
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW! It doesn’t matter where in Michigan you live, take action to make sure this important bipartisan legislation has the support it needs to pass.
1. Contact the Committee Chair, Kevin Cotter. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call all the other members of the Committee. Again, be strong but respectful. Ask them each for a YES vote on HB5420. If they say they’re opposed, ask them why. If they’re undecided or will not commit to a YES vote, let them know you will be following up in a few days after they have a chance to consider it. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
Klint Kesto (R) Majority Vice-Chair – (517) 373-1799
Kurt Heise (R) – (517) 373-3816
Joel Johnson (R) – (517) 373-8962
Andrea LaFontaine (R) – (517) 373-8931
Tom Leonard (R) – (517) 373-1778
Martin Howrylak (R) – (517) 373-1783
Phil Cavanagh (D) Minority Vice-Chair – (517) 373-0857
Ellen Lipton (D) – (517) 373-0478
Jeff Irwin (D) – (517) 373-2577
Paul Clemente (D) – (517) 373-0140
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at email@example.com with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for HB5420. It is unacceptable for MI state officials to comply with the NSA’s blatantly unconstitutional spying program. HB5420 would bring that relationship to an end.
Latest posts by Dennis Marburger (see all)
- Michigan Action Alert: Support HB5420 to Nullify NSA - April 4, 2014
- Mississippi to Consider Washing its Hands of Obamacare - January 29, 2014
- Waterford, MI to Introduce 2nd Amendment Preservation Resolution - October 15, 2013