SJR27, a proposal for a state constitutional amendment that would expressly include electronic data and communications in the same protected class as “persons, houses, papers, and effects,” is moving forward in the Missouri legislature. It passed the senate by a 31-2 vote. It is now in the House Downsizing State Government Committee where it will need to pass by a majority before it can receive a full vote from the house.
PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS – It doesn’t matter where you live in the state, please follow all these steps to support SJR27.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Paul Curtman. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bipartisan bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SJR27. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Mike Kelley (R) Vice Chair 573-751-2165
Brandon Ellington (D) 573-751-3129
Vicki Englund (D) 573-751-3719
Kent Hampton (R) 573-751-3629
Ben Harris (D) 573-751-2398
Tom Hurst (R) 573-751-1344
Nick Marshall (R) 573-751-6593
Joshua Peters (D) 573-751-7605
Chrissy Sommer (R) 573-751-1452
Bill White (R) 573-751-3791
Paul Wieland (R) 573-751-3607
Kenneth Wilson (R) 573-751-9760
John Wright (D) 573-751-1501
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 2-3 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SJR27. It is essential for the 4th Amendment to be the law of the land in MO. Passing SJR27 will allow the voters to make that happen.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- New Jersey Bill Would Legalize Marijuana; Foundation to Nullify Federal Prohibition - March 21, 2018
- New Hampshire House Passes Bill to Allow Caregivers to Grow Medical Marijuana - March 8, 2018
- Missouri Measure Would Put Marijuana Legalization on the Ballot; Foundation to Nullify Federal Prohibition - February 27, 2018