On Jan. 6, SB828 was introduced by Sen. Ted Lieu (D-28) and Sen. Joel Anderson (R-36) to push back against mass surveillance by the NSA and other federal agencies. It passed through the Committee on Public Safety by a unanimous 6-0 vote. (learn about it here)
It will now have to pass through the Appropriations Committee before a vote can be taken on the bill by the full state senate.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in California you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Kevin De Leon. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bipartisan bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB828. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Mimi Walters (R) Vice Chair 916.651.4037
Ted Gaines (R) 916.651.4001
Jerry Hill (D) (916) 651-4013
Ricardo Lara (D) (916) 651-4033
Alex Padilla (D) (916) 651-4020
Darrell Steinberg (D) (916) 651-4006
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at email@example.com with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB828. It is unacceptable for CA officials to comply with the NSA’s unconstitutional spying program. SB828 would help bring that relationship to an end.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- State and Local Action: A Successful Strategy for Defending the Constitution - September 23, 2014
- Secret Court Ruling Shows That Judges Won’t Protect Your Rights - September 22, 2014
- Think You’re Free from NSA Spying? Think Again! - September 19, 2014