SB2808, a bill that prevents Illinois state government officials from obtaining location information of individuals without a warrant, was introduced on Jan. 30 by Sen. Daniel Biss (D-9). It passed through the senate unanimously, and currently resides in the House Judiciary Committee. It will need to pass through the Judiciary Committee by majority before a vote can be taken by the whole house.
PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS – It doesn’t matter where you live in the state, please follow all these steps to support SB2808.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Elaine Nekritz. Strongly, but respectfully urge her to move this important bipartisan bill forward to a vote in her committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB2808. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Ann Williams (D) Vice Chair (217) 782-2458
Ron Sandack (R) Republican Spokesman (217) 782-6578
John D. Anthony (R) (217) 782-5997
John E. Bradley (D) (217) 782-1051
Scott Drury (D) (217) 782-0902
Jay Hoffman (D) (217) 782-0104
Dwight Kay (R) (217) 782-8018
Dennis M. Reboletti (R) (217) 782-4014
Elgie R. Sims, Jr. (D) (217) 782-6476
Brian W. Stewart (R) (217) 782-8186
André M. Thapedi (D) (217) 782-1702
Jil Tracy (R) (217) 782-8096
Arthur Turner (D) (217) 782-8116
Emanuel Chris Welch (D) (217) 782-8120
Michael J. Zalewski (D) (217) 782-5280
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at email@example.com with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB2808. It is essential for IL residents to have their privacy rights more fully protected. Passing SB2808 will help make that happen.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- Common Core Revolt Shows that Bottom-Up Change is Effective - October 29, 2014
- Viral Video Explains Prop. 122 and State Sovereignty to Arizona Voters - October 28, 2014
- Federal Supremacy vs State Sovereignty: The Debate Heats Up for AZ Prop 122! - October 24, 2014