A strong statement for the Tenth and Second Amendments came out of a local Republican Party county convention in Washington state recently, proving efforts at the local level can yield results.
On April 26, the Spokane County Republicans held their Platform Convention. Originally intended as a four-hour event, the Convention lasted more than nine.
When 6:30 p.m. rolled around. There had been a lot of debate and contention, but the platform was nowhere near complete. It was proposed that the platform committee work on it more. Many had misgivings.
With all this in mind, about 70 days later, I opened the email containing the 2014 Platform attachment with apprehension. I began reading through it. They had removed nearly all of the items the Constitutionalists had pointed out as not in accord with the Constitution and that were in opposition to the GOP platform statements of the past. Indeed, the final document was so much more in keeping with the Republic, it was surprising.
Lo and behold what’s this? There exists an attached resolution “Supporting the 10th Amendment.” It is a beautiful, straightforward statement. It quotes the Amendment itself and goes on to confirm with surety State’s Rights. The resolution concludes saying:
Therefore be it resolved the Republicans of Spokane County concurring:
1) That the State of Washington should hereby claim sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States. Article I Section 8 specifically list 18 powers we the people have given the Federal Government and the 9th Amendment clarifies this enumeration further “ The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage other retained by the people.”
2) That this Resolution serves as notice to the State government, as our agent, to cease and desist, effective immediately, the implementation of Federal mandates that are beyond the scope of their constitutionally delegated powers.
3) That all compulsory federal legislation that directs states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties or sanctions or requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding be nullified as unconstitutional overreach of Federal authority.
And right behind that I find an excellent and equally straightforward 2nd Amendment Resolution: The Resolution to Affirm Our Unalienable Right to Bear Arms. After an excellent series of support statements it concludes with and equally excellent statement. Aimed directly at our “representatives” who don’t vote in accord with the platform they were elected on.
THEREFORE, be it RESOLVED that: The Spokane County Republican Party shall refuse to support and may condemn, sanction, organize a recall of and/or recruit opposition to, any holder of public office or any candidate for public office in any branch or at any level of government who the Executive Board of the Spokane County Republican Party finds has taken any action to further infringe, impair, subvert or usurp our Natural and Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, regardless of their party affiliation.
The Board shall issue a press release notifying the public of this Resolution.
The moral of this story?
Keep in the discussion for your own, and your State’s Sovereignty. It looked dark when the convention adjourned at 6:30 p.m. But the final document we have confirms our Rights as individuals and individual States.
More importantly, these local efforts tends to filter up through the party to both the state and national level. Change generally happens from the bottom up.
This happens to be a GOP platform. But I believe the rank and file Democrats also know they have been run over by an ever-growing federal government. So get in there you Democrats and independents too, United we are unstoppable. Freedom and Sovereignty is worth the heated discussions and long hours.
Latest posts by D Goodwin (see all)
- County Republican Party Gets it Right on the 10th Amendment - June 26, 2014
- More Hysteria Over a Natural Right - September 19, 2013
- Americans Asleep - September 6, 2013