On our Facebook page tonight, a commenter derided libertarians for making “Pot their banner issue,” saying that doing so is a sure path to failure.
I would argue, however, that marijuana legalization in modern times represents the most successful state rejection of federal power in the history of this country. There are 28 states that are defying Washington D.C. on marijuana and more are likely to come. With each passing year, the likelihood of federal resources being able to change course becomes less and less.
Here at TAC, marijuana is absolutely a banner issue. Here’s why:
1. Federal prohibition of this plant is totally unconstitutional under the founders constitution. Rejection of such programs by the states shows the power of the 10th Amendment.
2. We hope that people will learn from these efforts. Even if they personally don’t like marijuana, they can apply the tactics to just about everything else. In fact, I’d argue, what is being done with marijuana in the states (and localities too) should be done on every single unconstitutional act. Every one of them.
Latest posts by Michael Boldin (see all)
- The Peoples’ Nullification of the Stamp Act - February 21, 2017
- HUGE Week for the 10th Amendment/Nullification Movement! - February 18, 2017
- Nullify Season 2 Posters - February 18, 2017