PHOENIX (Feb, 24, 2014) – Today, the Arizona State Senate passed a bill that would legalize gold and silver as legal tender, moving the legislation on to the House for consideration.
If passed into law, Arizona could become the second state to recognize gold and silver as legal tender authorized for payments of debts and taxes.
SB1096 passed by a vote of 18-12
A similar bill was introduced last year. The bill passed both the House and Senate and made it to the Governor’s desk – where Jan Brewer ultimately vetoed it. It’s important to note that SB1096 is not a mandate, but simply would allow the people in Arizona to exchange goods and services, for gold or silver, without additional fines and taxes. [READ BILL TEXT HERE]
The Arizona House will now take up the bill, where it will need to be passed to make it back to the governor’s desk. Supporters say that a full year of pressure and outreach makes passage and a signature, while still difficult, more likely.
Currently all debts and taxes in Arizona and the rest of the United States are either paid with Federal Reserve Notes (dollars) which were authorized as legal tender by Congress, or with coins issued by the U.S. Treasury — very few of which have gold or silver in them.
The United States Constitution states in Article I, Section 10, “No State shall…make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts.” The Constitutional tender act is a big step towards that constitutional requirement which has been ignored for a long time in every state of the country. Such a tactic would achieve the desired goal of abolishing the Federal Reserve system by attacking it from the bottom up – pulling the rug out from under it by working to make its functions irrelevant at the State and local level.
Passage of the Constitutional Tender Act would introduce currency competition with Federal Reserve Notes. Professor William Greene explains further:
“Over time, as residents of the State use both Federal Reserve Notes and silver and gold coins, the fact that the coins hold their value more than Federal Reserve Notes do will lead to a “reverse Gresham’s Law” effect, where good money (gold and silver coins) will drive out bad money (Federal Reserve Notes). As this happens, a cascade of events can begin to occur, including the flow of real wealth toward the State’s treasury, an influx of banking business from outside of the State – as people in other States carry out their desire to bank with sound money – and an eventual outcry against the use of Federal Reserve Notes for any transactions.”
Once things get to that point, Federal Reserve notes would become largely unwanted and irrelevant for ordinary people. Nullifying the Fed on a state by state level is what will get us there.
Without a single act of Congress, the Federal Reserve system can be brought to its knees by passing such bills in states all over the country.
This bill has not been scheduled for a committee hearing yet, but it’s never too early to start taking steps to help get this legislation passed!
ACTION ITEMS for Arizona
1. Contact the Speaker of the House, Representative Andy Tobin – (602) 926-5172
Strongly, but politely, ask him to assign SB1096 to the appropriate committees to begin moving the bill through the House’s legislative process.
2. Contact your own state representative. Strongly, but politely, let them know you want them to vote YES on SB1096. Remind them that you expect them to support the Constitution, and that includes Article 1, Section 10 which says that the state needs to allow gold and silver to be used as legal tender. SB1096 will help facilitate this constitutional duty and you want a YES vote.
Contact info here: HOUSE CONTACT INFORMATION
3. Conatct Governor Jan Brewer. Strongly, but politely, let her know that you want her to SIGN SB1096 into law. Remind her and her staff that you expect her to support the Constitution, and that includes Article 1, Section 10 which says that the state needs to allow gold and silver to be used as legal tender. SB1096 will help facilitate this constitutional duty and you want a YES vote.
4. Share this information widely. Please pass this along to your friends and family. Also, share it with any and all grassroots groups you’re in contact with around the state. Please encourage them to email this information to their members and supporters.
LEGISLATION AND TRACKING
If you’re outside of Arizona, please contact your own legislators regarding Constitutional Tender legislation. If none has been introduced in your state, you can email them the model legislation HERE
- Arizona Senate Passes Bill to Authorize Gold and Silver as Legal Tender, 18-12 - February 24, 2014
- Arizona Action Alert: Help Pass The Strongest NDAA Nullification Bill in the Country - February 22, 2014
- Arizona Action Alert: Call NOW – It’s Do or Die For Anti-drone Bill - February 16, 2014