STATUS – Both bills have been referred to the Committee on Education and are pending action, they must pass by majority vote before the full House can consider them.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Louisiana you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair and vice-Chair. Strongly, but respectfully urge them to move these important bipartisan bills forward to a vote in their committees. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
Stephen F. Carter Chairman (225)362-5305
Patrick O. Jefferson vice-Chair (318)927-2519
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on HB556 and HB557. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back.
Wesley T. Bishop (504)242-4198
Chris Broadwater (985)543-4900
Henry L. Burns (318)949-2463
Thomas G. Carmody, Jr. (318)862-9956
Simone B. Champagne (337)937-8827
John Bel Edwards (985)748-2245
Cameron Henry (504)838-5433
Paul Hollis (985)871-4680
Barry Ivey (225)261-5739
Nancy Landry (337)262-2252
Edward J. Price (225)644-6738
H. Eugene Reynolds (318)371-3092
Jerome Richard (985)447-0999
Robert E. Shadoin (318)251-5039
Patricia Haynes Smith (225)342-7106
Jeff R. Thompson (318)741-2850
Alfred C. Williams (225)382-3243
Charles E. “Chuck” Kleckley (337)475-3016
Walt Leger, III (504)556-9970
3. Call Back any NO or UNDECIDED – Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us at http://ask.tenthamendmentcenter.com with any information you get.
4. On Twitter? Retweet!
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for HB556 and HB557. It is essential that Louisiana resist Common Core and its federalization of the education system. Passing HB556 and HB557 will make that happen.
- Common Core Moving Closer to Repeal in NC with Your Help - June 24, 2014
- North Carolina House Passes Bill to Withdraw from Common Core, 78-39 - June 4, 2014
- Action Alert: South Carolina Hemp Bill Up for House Vote - April 8, 2014