The list below contains the Tenth Amendment related legislation which we are currently tracking in the Pennsylvania legislature. This week’s updates include:
- SB3 was approved by the Senate and introduced into the House Insurance Committee.
- HB1653 was introduced.
- SB354 was passed out of committee.
- SB355 and SB356 were added to our tracking. These also passed out of committee this week.
Also, we have been advised by Representative Metcalfe’s office that his staff is working with Representative Tallman on an amendment to HB852 and we have been advised by Senator McIlhinney that, “Senate Resolution 9 will be scheduled for a vote out of the State Government Committee in the near future.”
Detailed Legislation Status
Asserting Pennsylvania’s State Prerogatives under the Tenth Amendment
- HR49 – State Sovereignty Resolution – Representative SWANGER – Referred to STATE GOVERNMENT, Feb 1, 2011.
- SR9 – State Sovereignty Resolution – Senator SCARNATI -Referred to STATE GOVERNMENT, Jan. 12, 2011.
Health Care Freedom – Asserting Tenth Amendment Authority over Health Care in Pennsylvania
- HB42 – An Act providing for the rights of individuals to purchase private health care insurance; and prohibiting certain governmental action. – Representative BAKER – Re-committed to APPROPRIATIONS, Feb 8, 2011.
- HB1653 – An Act providing for the medical use of marijuana. – Representative COHEN – Referred to HEALTH, June 13, 2011 [House]
- SB3 – An Act amending Title 40 (Insurance) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, providing for compliance with Federal health care legislation. – Senator D. WHITE – Referred to INSURANCE, June 8, 2011 [House].
- SB10 – A Joint Resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, providing for health care services. – Senator SCARNATI – Referred to BANKING AND INSURANCE, Jan 21, 2011.
- SB220 – An Act amending Title 40 (Insurance) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, providing for health insurance coverage not required. – Senator FOLMER – Referred to BANKING AND INSURANCE, Jan 21, 2011.
- SB1003 – An Act providing for the medical use of marijuana; and repealing provisions of law that prohibit and penalize marijuana use. – Senator LEACH – Referred to PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE
Protecting Pennsylvanians from Unconstitutional TSA Intrusions
- HR16 – A Resolution memorializing Congress to address concerns raised by security screening methods employed by the Transportation Security Administration. – Representative TALLMAN – Referred to STATE GOVERNMENT, Jan 20, 2011.
- HB852 – An Act amending Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, providing for indecent assault during the course of body search. – Representative TALLMAN – Referred to STATE GOVERNMENT, Feb 28, 2011.
Protecting Pennsylvanians’ privacy from Unconstitutional National ID requirements
- SB354 – An Act relating to compliance with the Federal REAL ID Act of 2005. – Senator FOLMER – First consideration, June 15, 2011 [Senate]
- SB355 – An Act providing for the electronic swiping of a driver’s license or identification card. – Senator WOZNIAK – First consideration, June 15, 2011 [Senate]
- SB356 – An Act providing for biometric protection and for penalties. – Senator KITCHEN – First consideration, June 15, 2011 [Senate]
Protecting Pennsylvanians’ right to bear arms from Commerce Clause scope creep
- HB752 – An Act prohibiting certain firearms, firearm accessories or ammunition from being subject to Federal law or Federal regulation. – Representative GABLER – Referred to JUDICIARY, Feb 17, 2011.
* How a Bill Becomes a Law in Pennsylvania, describes the process a bill goes through to become a law in Pennsylvania. In short, every bill must be voted out of committee, and undergo three considerations in both the PA House and Senate before going to the Governor to be signed into law. If either house amends the bill so that the versions passed by the House and Senate differ, the differences must be resolved by a “conference committee” and reapproved by votes in both houses.
Latest posts by TAC Daily Updates (see all)
- Iceland Today, the US Tomorrow? - October 17, 2016
- Understanding the “General Good” Through a Lockean Lens - October 7, 2016
- Wells Fargo or the Federal Reserve: Who’s the Bigger Fraud? - October 4, 2016