PHOENIX — A Republican-sponsored bill barring enforcement of many federal guns laws sparked passionate debate in an Arizona Senate committee that ultimately passed the bill Wednesday.
The bill co-sponsored by state Sen. Don Shooter, four other senators and several members of the House of Representatives would bar enforcement of federal laws affecting semi-automatic firearms or high-capacity magazines in effect on OR after January 1, 2013. It also makes any federal official trying to enforce such laws guilty of a class 6 felony and allows the state Attorney General to defend anyone prosecuted for violating federal gun laws if the gun was made in Arizona, among other provisions.
Wednesday’s Senate Public Safety Committee debate pitted minority Democrats who believe the bill is unconstitutional against Republicans opposed to what they call an overreaching federal government. An identical bill has been introduced in the House, which also has seen several other gun-related bills introduced since the session began Jan 14. The final committee vote was 4-2 with one abstaining.
SB1112 now goes on to debate and vote in the Senate Rules committee, where inside sources say that strong support from the grassroots will encourage its passage. From there, it would then go on to a full Senate floor debate and vote.
ACTION ITEMS for Arizona
1. Please contact all members of the Senate Rules committee and urge them to vote YES on SB1112. you can find their contact info here: http://www.azleg.gov/CommitteeInfo.asp?Committee_ID=64&Legislature=51&Session_ID=110
2. Contact your state senator AND representative and urge them to vote YES on SB1112 and House bill 2291 (HB2291) when they come up for a full floor vote. Find your legislators here:
LEGISLATION AND TRACKING
If you would like to see model legislation to introduce in your state to nullify federal firearm laws, please see The Tenth Amendment Center’s Model Legislation: The 2nd Amendment Preservation Act.
Track the status of 2nd Amendment preservation legislation in states around the country HERE
Latest posts by TAC Daily Updates (see all)
- Missouri House committee capitulates to feds on REAL ID. Can Still be Stopped. - April 11, 2016
- On REAL ID, DHS Caves Once Again - January 10, 2016
- Yes We Can…Say “No!” to the Feds - December 31, 2015