Florida Senate Bill 92 (SB92) known as the “Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act” – would prohibit any law enforcement agency from using unmanned drones to gather evidence or other information with the exception of countering a high risk of a terrorist attack. SB92 also prohibits the use of any evidence to be used in a court of law in violation of this law.
This legislation is sponsored by Senators Negron, Brandes, Evers, and Bradley and will be heard this Thursday (April 4) on the Senate Floor. There is a likelihood that it will also get a vote from the full State Senate. Your help is needed right now to support this bill!
ACTION ITEMS for Florida Senate Bill 92:
1. Contact your State Senator. Strongly, but respectfully, let him or her know that you want them to vote YES on SB92. AND, you don’t want the bill watered down with an amendment. Let them know that you expect a YES vote on the bill, as-is.
State Senate Contact info here:
2. Contact your State Representative. The companion bill, HB119, is also in need of your support. Let your representative know that you want to see the bill move forward – vote YES on HB119.
State Representative Contact info here:
3. Encourage your local community to take action as well. Present the Privacy Protection Act to your city county, your town council, or your county commissioners. Various local governments around the country are already passing similar resolutions and ordinances. Local legislative action present a great way to strengthen a statewide campaign against drone spying.
Model legislation here:
4. Share this information widely. Please pass this along to your friends and family. Also share it with any and all grassroots groups you’re in contact with around the state. Please encourage them to email this information to their members and supporters.
Latest posts by TAC Daily Updates (see all)
- Constitutional Ignorance and Dereliction on the 2nd Amendment - July 2, 2015
- Oklahoma House Passes Bill to Effectively Nullify All Sides on Marriage, 67-24 - March 16, 2015
- Obama’s ISIS AUMF: Codifying “Mission Creep” - February 11, 2015