Earlier this month the Montana Senate approved House Bill 522 (HB522) by a vote of 43-7, concurring with the State house which previously voted to approve the bill by a 98-0 vote.
Today, Montana Governor Steve Bullock vetoed the bill, which would protect the citizens of Montana from being detained by the feds – without due process – by banning state compliance with, enforcement of, or any assistance for NDAA “indefinite detention”.
People came from across the political spectrum in favor of this bill. The ACLU, Tenth Amendment Center, Oath Keepers and many others worked in favor. On the second reading there were still 13 votes against, but the grassroots rallied and barraged those offices with calls for the final vote. The people of Montana have spoken on indefinite detention. They don’t want it.
Because of the majority who voted for this bill, the governor’s veto can be overridden. However, the vote to override still has to be passed and should come up on the House floor on Tuesday, April 23rd.
1. Call your State Representative. Call now, even if you just leave a voicemail overnight. Focus special attention on Democrats, who might waver in the face of the Democratic Governor issuing a veto. Remind them that indefinite detention and due process is NOT a partisan issue. Let them know you want a YES vote on HB522 – vote principle over party. The original vote was 98-0 – so any help you can give in encouraging your representative to hold their ground will help override this veto!
Contact info here:
2. Call your State Senator. Do the same with the State Senate. Call now. Don’t email. Call, leave a message if necessary. YES on HB522!
Contact info here:
3.Get active on Facebook. Join the Nullify NDAA group for Montana and get involved with others around the state to stop indefinite detention. https://www.facebook.com/groups/nullifyndaamontana/
LEGISLATION AND TRACKING
If you live anywhere outside of Montana, please contact your own legislators regarding anti-NDAA legislation. If none has been introduced in your state, you can email them The Liberty Preservation Act model legislation.
Track the status of NDAA nullification in states around the country HERE.
Latest posts by Amanda Bowers (see all)
- Gearing Up For 2014: Industrial Hemp in Washington State? - December 3, 2013
- Washington State Firearms Freedom Act Returning in January - November 5, 2013
- Gun Control: Protecting Ourselves Or Asking Someone Else To Do It For Us - November 1, 2013