Texas House Joint Resolution 48, is legislation that proposes a state constitutional amendment to deal directly with Obamacare mandates. It’s up for a hearing this week and your support is needed!
It reads, in part: “(a) Each individual in this state has the right to choose or decline to choose to purchase health insurance coverage without penalty or sanction or threat of penalty or sanction.
(b) A state agency, public official, employee, or political subdivision of this state may not act to impose, collect, enforce, or effectuate a penalty or sanction intended to punish or discourage the exercise of the right described by Subsection (a) of this section.”
This would, by the Constitution, ban state participation in Obamacare exchanges and anything else which leads to a penalty under the federal act. Doing so will ensure that this important decision isn’t just left to the whims of one politician future. And refusing to comply on exchanges and medicaid expansion has been shown by CATO institute researchers to be something that will likely bring Obamacare to its knees. (read more here)
ACTION ITEMS for Texas HJR48
1. Contact your State representative. Let him or her know that you’d like to see them co-sponsor HJR48 and encourage the federalism committee to move the bill forward right away.
Contact information here:
2. Contact the committee chair of Federalism and Fiscal Responsibility Call and politely let Representative Creighton know that you’d a YES vote on HJR48.
Brandon Creighton (512) 463-0726
3. Contact all the other members of the committee. Strongly, but respectfully let each of them know that you expect a YES on HJR48.
Cindy Burkett (512) 463-0464
Eddie Lucio III (512) 463-0606
Scott Turner (512) 463-0484
Armando Walle (512) 463-0924
3. Share this information widely. Please pass this along to your friends and family. Also share it with any and all grassroots groups you’re in contact with around the state. Please encourage them to email this information to their members and supporters.
4. Join us on facebook. Get involved with like-minded people in your state and report back to others on any feedback you get when in contact with your representative. https://www.facebook.com/TexasTenthAmendmentCenter?fref=ts
BACKGROUND ARTICLES AND INFORMATION ON NULLIFICATION AND “OBAMACARE.”
Just as the U.S. Supreme Court can offer their opinion and declare a law unconstitutional, the states can essentially do the same thing through a process commonly called “Nullification.” There is a reason that supreme court cases end up with the justices issuing an “opinion.”