Ohio State Representative Andy Thompson introduced a bill to repeal Common Core standards in Ohio on July 31, 2013. HB237 would effectively repeal Common Core standards in the State of Ohio, prohibit the state board of education from using any assessments based on Common Core standards, and stop any mining of data that is not strictly tied to basic administrative needs.
STATUS – HB237 was promptly submitted to the House Education Committee where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full House can consider it. This bill faces strong opposition in committee and will require passionate support from Ohioans across the state.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in Ohio you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Lynn Stebelton. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on HB237. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
- Andrew Brenner (R) Vice Chair (614) 644-6711
- Teresa Fedor (D) Ranking Minority Member (614) 644-6017
- Nickie Antonio (D) (614) 466-5921
- John Becker (R) *Cosponsor* (614) 466-8134
- Heather Bishoff (D) (614) 644-6002
- Timothy Derickson (R) (614) 644-5094
- Denise Driehaus (D) (614) 466-5786
- Bill Hayes (R) (614) 466-2500
- Mike Henne (R) (614) 644-8051
- Matt Huffman (R) (614) 466-9624
- Stephanie Kunze (R) (614) 466-8012
- John Patterson (D) (614) 466-1405
- Debbie Phillips (D) (614) 466-2158
- Kristina Roegner (R) *Cosponsor* (614) 466-1177
- Marilyn Slaby (R) (614) 644-5085
- Ryan Smith (R) (614) 466-1366
- Fred Strahorn (D) (614) 466-1607
- Andy Thompson (R) *Sponsor* (614) 644-8728
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Contact us at http://ask.tenthamendmentcenter.com with any information you get.
4. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for HB237. It is essential to take measures to protect the education rights of Ohio residents. Passing HB237 will help make that happen.
Latest posts by Scott Landreth (see all)
- Montana Bill Would Nullify Some Federal Gun Control Efforts - January 14, 2015
- Kentucky bill seeks to nullify all federal gun control - November 17, 2014
- The 2nd Amendment is your gun permit? I think not! - May 16, 2014