SB330 is a bill that would ban warrantless drone spying by law enforcement in Louisiana. It was introduced February 27 by Sen. Dan Claitor (R-16).
STATUS: SB330 has passed in the Senate, and has been sent to the House for consideration. It is currently in the House Administration of Criminal Justice
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW to make sure the legislation has the support it needs to move forward.
NOTE: An important amendment is necessary on the house side. The senate version of the bill included an amendment which included an unwelcome exception to the warrant requirement. This amendment states that if law enforcement is using a drone “as part of an operation, exercise, or mission of any branch of the United States military or United States Department of Homeland Security,” that it doesn’t need to get a warrant to conduct surveillance.
But the 4th Amendment doesn’t have an exception for “helping the federal government carry out warrantless surveillance.”
Please contact your state representative and urge them to introduce an amendment to SB330 striking this dangerous exception out of the bill.
1. Call the Chair and vice-chair of the Committee. Be strong, but respectful. Urge them to support SB330 and move the bill forward in their committee. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why.
A phone call holds as much as 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call all the other members of the Committee. Again, be strong but respectful. Ask them each for a YES vote on SB330. If they say they’re opposed, ask them why. If they’re undecided or will not commit to a YES vote, let them know you will be following up in a few days after they have a chance to consider it.
Again, make sure to contact them with a phone call rather than an email.
Adams, Bryan 504-361-6013
Badon, Austin 504-243-7783
Brown, Terry R. 855-243-7783
Burrell, Roy 318-676=7137
Guillory, Mickey J. 337-457-0194
Hazel, Lowell C. “Chris” 318-767-6082
Hodges, Valarie 225-791-2199
Honoré, Dalton 225-771-5674
Howard, Frank A .318-4135
Landry, Terry 337-373-9380
Mack, Sherman Q. 225-686-3887
Norton, Barbara M. 318-632-5887
Pylant, Steve E. 318-435-7313
Woodruff, Ebony 504-361-6972
Kleckley, Chuck 337-475-3016
Leger, Walt III 504-556-3016
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us with any information you get.
4. On Twitter? Retweet!
5. Write a letter to the editor Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB330. Following strong legal principles, it’s essential that Louisiana no longer participate in warrantless drone spying. Passing SB330 will start that process.
6. Report Back. Tell us how your actions went. Click the button below