On January 6, the 4th Amendment Protection Act was introduced, SB828. (learn about it here)
STATUS: SB828 was referred to the Committee on Public Safety where it will need to pass by majority vote before the full Senate can consider it.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in California you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Loni Hancock. Strongly, but respectfully urge her to move this important bipartisan bill forward to a vote in her committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB828. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Joel Anderson (R) Vice Chair (916) 651-4036
Kevin de Leon (D) (916) 651-4022
Steve Knight (R) (916) 651-4021
Carol Liu (D) (916) 651-4025
Holly Mitchell (D) (916) 651-4026
Darrell Steinberg (D) (916) 651-4006
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you get.
4. on Twitter? Retweet
— Nullify NSA (@NullifyNSA) January 18, 2014
5. Write a letter to the editor Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB828. Following strong legal principles, it’s essential that California no longer help the federal government spy on all of us. Passing SB828 will make that happen.
6. Group leaders, send a letter to the committee in support. If you are in a leadership role with a grassroots (or other) group within the state of California, send a letter to the full committee expressing your support for SB828. The committee will be influenced to some degree by the number – and type – of groups which send letters. Keep it to one page, as they tend to just keep a list of groups and those in favor or opposed.
Senate Standing Committee on Public Safety
State Capitol Building, Room 2031
Sacramento, CA 95814
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- Colorado Senate Passes Bill to Reaffirm Some State Control over Public Lands Held by the Federal Government - April 24, 2015
- Alabama Action Alert: Help Nullify in Practice Some FDA Restrictions on Terminal Patients, Support HB463 and SB357 - April 24, 2015
- North Carolina Action Alert: Help Block License Plate Tracking, Support H829 - April 24, 2015