California Senate Bill 1186 (SB1186) would increase oversight and transparency of law enforcement surveillance technology in the state. It needs your help to move forward.
The proposed law would require local law enforcement agencies to draft a Surveillance Use Policy for each type of surveillance technology it operates and the information collected. If the plan is not adopted, the law enforcement agency would be required to cease using all surveillance technology within 30 days. SB1186 would require law enforcement agencies to amend their use policies for any new surveillance technology they acquire in the future, subject to the same approval requirements. Without approval, the agency could not use the new technology. Sheriff’s offices and district attorneys would also have to get local government approval before obtaining surveillance technology.
The bill already passed the Senate by a 21-15 vote. The legislation is now the in the Assembly Appropriations Committee where it will need to be approved before it can be considered by the full Assembly.
PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS to support this important bill.
1. Call the Chair of the Assembly Appropriations Committee, Lorena S. Gonzalez Fletcher. Strongly, but respectfully urge her to schedule a hearing for this bill and then a vote. It is a two-step process, so be sure to make it clear that you want her to schedule a hearing and then a vote for the bill. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
Gonzalez Fletcher: (916) 319-2080
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to cosponsor and vote YES on SB1186.
Frank Bigelow (R) Vice Chair (916) 319-2005
Richard Bloom (D) (916) 319-2050
Rob Bonta (D) (916) 319-2018
William P. Brough (R) (916) 319-2073
Ian C. Calderon (D) (916) 319-2057
Wendy Carrillo (D) (916) 319-2051
Ed Chau (D) (916) 319-2049
Susan Talamantes Eggman (D) (916) 319-2013
Vince Fong (R) (916) 319-2034
Laura Friedman (D) (916) 319-2043
James Gallagher (R) (916) 319-2003
Eduardo Garcia (D) (916) 319-2056
Adrin Nazarian(D) (916) 319-2046
Jay Obernolte Bill Quirk (D) (916) 319-2020
Eloise Gómez Reyes (D) (916) 319-2047
3. Call Back- any NO or UNDECIDED –in 2 to 3 days. Make sure to follow up with them. Thank them if they say YES, and announce on social media. If they say no, politely ask them why.
4. Call your State Assemblyman. Please let them know that they should support SB1186 when it comes up to a vote in the full state Assembly. You can find their information at this link.
5. Spread the Word. Share this information widely by facebook, twitter, email and other social networks.