In California, an important bill (SB828) would create a mechanism to turn off all material support and assistance, including water and electricity resources, to the NSA from the state of California. It passed in the state senate by a 29-1 margin, and is now in the Assembly Committee on Public Safety. It will need to pass through that committee by a majority before the full Assemplby can vote on the bill and send it to the Governor’s desk.
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in California you live, take these actions today.
1. Call the Committee Chair, Tom Ammiano. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bipartisan bill forward with a YES vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on SB828. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
Melissa A. Melendez (R) Vice Chair (916) 319-2067
Reginald B. Jones-Sawyer, Sr. (D) (916) 319-2059
Bill Quirk (D) (916) 319-2020
Nancy Skinner (D) (916) 319-2015
Mark Stone (D) (916) 319-2029
Mark Waldron (R) (916) 319-2075
3. Attend the hearing. This committee often allows the public to provide testimony of 1-2 minutes per person. Explain to the committee how and why you support the bill. Encourage them to vote YES. Be professional and respectful in your tone and appearance.
Tuesday, 06-17-14, 9am
State Capitol, Room 126
4. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 1-2 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at email@example.com with any information you get.
5. SHARE this information widely. By facebook, twitter, email, and more.
6. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB828. It is unacceptable for CA officials to help carry out the NSA’s unconstitutional spying program. SB828 would bring that relationship to an end.
Latest posts by Shane Trejo (see all)
- Rhode Island Bill Would Legalize Recreational Marijuana, Nullify Federal Prohibition - February 23, 2017
- Vermont Senate Passes Bill to Expand Medical Marijuana Program, Further Nullify Federal Prohibition in Practice - February 21, 2017
- Missouri Bill Would Legalize Medical Marijuana; Foundation to Nullify Federal Prohibition in Practice - February 17, 2017