Status: This bill was passed by the Assembly on January 29, 2014 and ordered to the Senate and the Senate Public Safety Committee. On May 13, 2014 the committee passed the bill with a 5-1 vote and re-referred it to the Senate Appropriations Committee. YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW to make sure this legislation is passed by the full Senate and that the Assembly passes the Senate version of the bill.
1. Call your state Senator. Be strong, but respectful. Urge them to support AB1327. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. A phone call holds as much as 10x the impact of an email.
You can find your California state Senator here.
2. Call your state Assembly member. Again, be strong but respectful. Let them know that you support the Senate version of bill AB1327 and they should support it as well. If they say they’re opposed, ask them why. If they’re undecided or will not commit to supporting the Senate version of the bill, let them know you will be following up in a few days after they have a chance to consider it. Again, make sure to contact them with a phone call rather than an email.
You can find your California state Assembly member here. (Note that this is the same link to find your Senator.)
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Comment below or contact us with any information you get.
4. Write a letter to the editor Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for AB1327. Based on sound constitutional principles and the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution, this bill is very important to protect the privacy of California residents.
5. Report Back. Tell us how your actions went. Click the button below
- California Action Alert: Anti-Drone Bill Needs Your Help - May 19, 2014
- Louisiana Action Alert: Prohibit Implementation of Common Core - May 8, 2014
- Minnesota Action Alert: Help Privacy Bill Move Forward - May 7, 2014