Moving ever closer to Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk, the strongest anti-mass surveillance legislation in the country faces another hurdleSB828 would create a mechanism to turn off all material support and assistance, including water and electricity resources, to the NSA from the state of California.
The legislation currently sits in the 17-member California Assembly Committee on Appropriations awaiting its next hearing on Wednesday, Aug.6.
Thanks to strong grassroots support, the legislation has enjoyed overwhelming support each step of the way. Here is a quick look at the first four votes.
4/29/2014 – Passed Senate Public Safety Committee, 6-0
5/12 – Sent out of Senate Appropriations Committee to the full senate
5/19 – Passed Senate, 29-1
6/24 – Passed Assembly Public Safety committee, 5-0
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW. It doesn’t matter where in California you live, take these actions today. It takes less than 30 minutes to call all 17 members.
1. Call the members of the Assembly Committee on Appropriations
Strongly, but respectfully urge him or her to support this important bipartisan bill. Let them know that you’d like to see a YES on SB828.
If the assemblyperson doesn’t commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they are undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
Mike Gatto (Chair) (916) 319-2043
Frank Bigelow (Vice Chair) (916) 319-2005
Raul Bocanegra (916) 319-2039
Steven Bradford (916) 319-2062
Ian C. Calderon (916) 319-2057
Nora Campos (916) 319-2027
Tim Donnelly (916) 319-2033
Susan Talamantes Eggman (916) 319-2013
Jimmy Gomez (916) 319-2051
Chris R. Holden (916) 319-2041
Brian W. Jones (916) 319-2071
Eric Linder (916) 319-2060
Richard Pan (916) 319-2009
Bill Quirk (916) 319-2020
Sebastian Ridley-Thomas (916) 319-2054
Donald P. Wagner (916) 319-2068
Shirley N. Weber (916) 319-2079
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 1-2 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at [email protected] with any information you get.
3. SHARE this information widely. By Facebook, Twitter, email, and more.
5. Write a letter to the editor. Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for SB828. It is unacceptable for CA officials to help carry out the NSA’s unconstitutional spying program. SB828 would bring that relationship to an end.
7. Report Back. Tell us how your actions went. Click the button below