California AB36 sets the foundation for local communities to stop federal militarization programs – the first step towards blocking federal programs that militarize local police. It passed the Assembly by a vote of 56-12 on 05-19. It must now pass the Senate Governance and Finance Committee before it can receive a Senate vote.
Take the following steps to support this important bill.
1. Call the Senate Governance and Finance Committee Chair, Robert Hertzberg. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move AB36 forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on AB36.
Janet Nguyen (R) Vice Chair (916) 651-4034
Jim Beall (D) (916) 651-4015
Ed Hernandez (D) (916) 651-4022
Ricardo Lara (D) (916) 651-4033
John Moorlach (R) (916) 651-4037
Fran Pavley (D) (916) 651-4027
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Make sure to follow-up. If they say YES, be sure to thank them and, if possible, announce their committed YES vote to email and social media contacts. If they say no, politely ask them why. Get the information from them and contact us.
4. Spread the Word. Share this information widely by facebook, twitter, email and other social networks.
5. Report Back. Tell us how your actions went. Click the button below