When the local government sued TAC communications director Mike Maharrey, they probably figured he’d just back down and shut up about their mass surveillance programs (funded by Washington D.C., of course).
But Mike isn’t one to scare off too easily. We’ve got a number of updates below.
Here’s the back story. On Oct. 9th, we emailed to let you know what was going on. Mike even recorded a short podcast with the details (you can listen here). Here’s an overview:
- Mike filed an open-records request to find out what’s going on with surveillance in his city – stingrays, cameras, license plate readers, and the like.
- The city released some (with a lot of redactions), but held back a lot.
- Mike appealed.
- The state Attorney General sided with Mike and told the city to give him the docs.
- The city sued Mike over this, asking a court to overturn the AG – and demanding that Mike pay all the legal fees.
For most grassroots activists, this would be a devastating blow – and we realize that governments sue on purpose to deter any resistance to their illegal actions.
Mike isn’t backing down.
Instead, he’s got some heavy-duty legal representation from the ACLU of Kentucky. Plus, joint press releases from our organizations have gotten Mike a number of spots on local radio and TV. The story even made the front page of the local paper.
Here are some important updates:
- Press Release: TAC Activist Pushes Back Against Local Government Bullying Tactics
- TV Interview: Taking on Big Brother at the Local Level
- Radio Interview: Should Police Be Able to Hide Information About Surveillance?
Once this case gets thrown out, which we believe it will, we expect Mike to start pushing back harder with information he’s found in the documents he already has. From what he’s told me, it’s pretty serious stuff. What they’re holding back is potentially even worse.
Thank you for reading, listening – and your support!
Concordia res parvae crescunt
(small things grow great by concord)
-Michael Boldin, TAC
Latest posts by Michael Boldin (see all)
- Massive 2019 NDAA Signed, and Trump’s Signing Statement: Good Morning Liberty 08-15-18 - August 15, 2018
- Good Morning Liberty 08-13-18: More Censorship and Gun Control - August 13, 2018
- Samuel Adams: “The Constitution is Fixed” - August 12, 2018