On Wednesday Feb 27, the House of Delegates will hold a do-or-die vote on an important bill to help restore the Founders’ Constitutional framework for a state-federal balance with the West Virginia National Guard.
Following the steps below, just a few minutes of your time can do a great deal to help this bill pass!
BACKGROUND: House Bill 2732 from Del. Pat McGeehan (R-Hancock) would prohibit the deployment of West Virginia Guard troops in “active duty combat” unless there is a declaration of war from Congress, as required by the Constitution. You can read our full report on the bill at this link.
In an extraordinary move today, McGeehan made a motion to “discharge” HB2732 from the House Judiciary Committee – where it was going to sit, and die without a hearing, even after being passed by the Veterans’ Affairs and Homeland Security committee. If passed, this motion would bypass the committee and let the bill be debated and voted on by the full House.
A previous attempt at this motion was voted down last Friday by a vote of 49-47. When most delegates would give up, McGeehan talked with colleagues behind the scenes, and once he knew there was a chance of passing, introduced the motion again. To the dismay of the establishment leadership, the motion passed today by a vote of 56-41. (vote details here) That means the bill will get a 3rd reading and up or down vote this Wednesday.
PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS to support this important bill today.
- Contact your own state Delegate.
Be firm but professional and courteous, let your Delegate know that you support the bill and want to see a YES vote on HB2732.
Ask them to let you know how they plan to vote, even if you’re just leaving a message.A phone call has 10x the impact of an email. Both is the best if you don’t reach them directlyDelegate roster here:
If you don’t know what district you’re in, use the map on this page.
- Spread the Word.Share this information widely by facebook, twitter, email and other social networks.Bonus: If you don’t get a response, call back by early Wednesday morning. A courteous follow up to let their staff know this bill is important to you and you’re calling back since you haven’t heard how your delegate intends to vote will add some extra impact.
Kudos to Pat McGeehan for all his hard work in support of the Constitution! Thank you for reading and taking action to help him make a stand!
Concordia res parvae crescunt
(small things grow great by concord)
P.S. If you’d like to make a donation to support our work, you can do so at the following link:
- Ignoring the Founders Ensures the ACA is Here to Stay - June 18, 2021
- DNA Stalker State: Is the Dystopian Future Already Here? - June 16, 2021
- Texas “Suppressor Freedom” Act Signed by the Governor - June 15, 2021